Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Part X: Conclusion

That was a lot of cupcakes. And the funny thing is, they wouldn't even make my list of top five baked goods.

Despite their new yuppie status, I'd be pretty happy with a box cake mix and some canned frosting. Actually, if I made cupcakes myself, I'd be apt to ditch the frosting and the little paper cups and just make one giant cake. Then I would cut off wedges of cake (probably squares since I'd want to use one rectangle pan and not two rounds since that's less dishes to wash) and eat them, possibly with ice cream after dinner, but possibly plain for breakfast.

Could it be that I'm not a yuppie after all?


I think the general standard of cupcakeries is woefully low, something that a friend pointed out to me after my first, astonishingly good, but never duplicated visit to Magnolia Bakery several years ago. When I went back a second time, it just wasn't as good as I remembered. She was honest. I was blinded by the nostalgia. Maybe the whole cupcake thing really is everyone chasing after a good memory. But I'll keep chasing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

There's a Love At First Bite in Berkeley, now, near the gourmet ghetto. But there's also a Teacake Bake Shop in Emeryville, and I notice that this didn't feature in your term paper! Please make revisions and resubmit it.

10:21 AM  
Blogger erica said...

Dear Prof. Darcy,

You must be joking. I never kid around about final drafts!

Erica

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home