Sunday, July 16, 2006

Oz is a Great Brekkie Sort of Place


I walked into the Galleon Cafe to find flyers, newspapers, and mismatched dishes on the tables announcing a purposeful chaos. I'd had my eye on the cafe since my very first day in St. Kilda when I spotted a mean plate of waffles topped with berries and cream. I thought I'd made up my mind.

Plunked myself down at the counter and ordered a coffee. I was just about to order waffles when the parade of eggs commenced. Scrambled, fried, poached, and looking generally very yummy. The eventual winner - sweet potato fritters held together by a hint of feta, crispy on the outside, chewy shavings of sweet potato inside, topped with spinach and a poached egg.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Wow. Clearly, I don't do enough traveling... you make me hunger for foreign breakfast. (Note: NOT British breakfast. But looks like brekki in Oz is gorgeous and tasty.)

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ... am quite fond of the british brekkies. But then, I'm fond of pretty much every breakfast cuisine I've ever sampled.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home