Friday, February 16, 2007

More Pies. And Cake.

Hmmm. I haven't written about an actual meal of late. That could be because I've taken to:

a. subsisting on crackers
b. subsisting on chocolate
c. eating boring, healthy food

As an aside, I don't actually consider healthy food to be boring, but it takes effort to make things interesting, and effort has been at a low ebb of late. Call it winter hibernation. At 70 degrees.

I had an exceptionally fine night on the town last weekend where I tried out not one, but two new places. We had dessert before dinner (I'm beginning to think there's no other way!) at Crixa Cakes.


Not a bite was left by the time dinner rolled around. They sounded light enough. Vanilla chiffon cake with passion fruit curd and blackberry puree. And chocolate souffle cake. Okay, not exactly light, but very tasty.

Next up, Pizzaiolo, a really magnificent pizza place though at times I felt like I was the pizza and the dining room was the oven. Never has it been so tempting to dash outside into the very rainy night. But the pizza won out and I stayed seated. Why so special? A thin crust pizza that's chewy and charred. The crust alone has a lovely bready flavor and amazingly enough, the toppings are equally spectacular. A generous scattering of nettles kept company with thinly sliced onion, pecorino and bursts of chili flakes on one. The other, a hearty butternut squash and gorgonzola combination. I can't decide which I liked better. I'm convinced the only way to find out would be another visit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious! The plate goes so well with those deserts. ;)

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home