Friday, May 18, 2007

An Afternoon with the Aussie Works Burger


The only thing that tops watching Crocodile Dundee II in Australia (particularly awesome because it was being shown on TV) is watching it while simultaneously listening to a single off the Paris Hilton CD and flipping through a trashy magazine. It's been a week of high culture in Perth. But I digress, this is a food blog.

The Aussie Works Burger appeared after two hours of fussing over the grill and griddle. As sous chef, I had to start with the basics - chopping up onions. And then tomatoes. And then cheese. And thereafter I ceased my cheffing duties and had only to observe the executive chef in action. My most insightful contribution to the meal was the observation that the fried egg resembled Australia, complete with the red (well orange) center. But back to the food. Twelve ingredients, all goodness, a bit difficult to eat as the finished product was nearly as tall as a can of soda
. Mine collapsed before I was able to take single bite. Start with a great roll and slather with tomato sauce and mayo, or in our case, Bearnaise sauce because the cousin is very picky about mayo and didn't approve of the store selections. Add a scotch fillet cooked to a lovely medium. No mince for us - this was the premium works burger. Then top with local cheddar, bacon, caramelized onions, a fried egg (cook the yolk unless you like egg running everywhere), lettuce, avocado, and the very best part - canned beetroot. It was decadent. It was delightful. I laid on the couch completely incapacitated for the next few hours.


P.S. I do not own the Paris Hilton CD.

P.P.S. While lying on the couch I watched Marie Antoinette which has a fantastic montage sequence that's all shoes and pastries.

3 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

Ooh, I had one of those in an Australian pub on Alameda!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Bill's Place on Clement Street in San Francisco has a good Aussie burger.

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aussies know how to do a burger! Yours is a two-story building, however. I'm so proud of you, E. This is why we are friends...

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home