Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Midnight Snack Most Unwelcome

The cousins and I landed at Grandma's because our best efforts to find a cafe open at midnight failed. And that's when things took a really bad turn. They decided it was time for my Vegemite toast. I thought I could get out of it when George burned the first slice of toast, but when he offered to toast up another slice I knew that I was doomed. While I pulled all sorts of weird faces, he prepared my snack and slathered a ridiculous amount of butter on the bread which grossed me out on its own. And then the Vegemite. Since I was acting like a kid, he cut up the toast into kid-friendly shapes. And because I was making such as fuss by now, Andrew agreed to let me eat just half the slice. Here's the shocking thing. It's palatable. Terrifically salty, and not something I'd ever crave, I managed to eat my half of the toast by taking large bites (they proved less torturous than the small ones) and chewing very, very quickly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

Well, personally, I've never had vegemite, but I love marmite -- and it was an acquired taste. That's rare (usually you hate it or love it and that's that), but I did like twiglets, just not pure marmite. I'll have to prepare you some when you get back to this timezone. :)

1:07 AM  
Blogger erica said...

Looking forward to our snacktime/Oz burger outing. :)

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. You actually did it. I don't think I could EVER have a Vegemite sandwich. Not even a bite. You are my hero officially.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home