Monday, October 22, 2007

A Tale of Two Caramels

Truthfully, I'm not a huge caramel fanatic. It's nice, but not my usual go-to flavor in the ice cream realm. And yet of late, I've found myself intrigued, seduced, perhaps by the haunting caramels I tasted at Rockpool.

On my first visit to Bi-Rite, I spotted the Salted Carmel flavor. Could the flavor of those transcendent Rockpool caramels be found in frozen form? I had to find out. I loved the salty note, and though they warned that this ice cream was particularly soft due to a high sugar content, I found the texture a bit disappointing in its abouttomeltrighawayness. Still, no complaints about the flavor.


My recent trip to Ici had me sampling three flavors. I hadn't realized just how difficult it is to hang onto three spoonfuls of samples at once (or how D managed four!). Their Burnt Caramel was luscious. And the texture was truly that of an
ice cream. Paired with their Chicory offering, it was a heavenly cone. And as D and I walked down the street with our ice cream treats, I hadn't the faintest idea of where I was walking or that we were talking. The ice cream was that good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

or how D managed four!

Only through truly superhuman coordination and talent, my dear.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home