Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm looking forward to April 17th because...

...that would Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day!

In truth, before I lived in Rhode Island, Ben & Jerry's wasn't much on my radar. I'd heard about it and perhaps even tried it, but other than Cherry Garcia I would have been hard pressed to name a single flavor. But it's inescapable on that other coast. There was a scoop shop mere steps from school and many of my missed breakfasts at the cafeteria morphed into late night ice cream treats. I flirted with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, New York Super Fudge Chunk, Phish Food and Half Baked, but I didn't find true love until I hit upon Everything But The... Despite my usual fastidiousness, I would steal spoonfuls straight from the pint, which resulted in the problem of frozen hands. A dear friend came to my rescue and came back from her trip to the factory with a pint cozy - a very practical invention.

And then years later I visited the factory with the LB. We picnicked on the lawn of the Vermont State House, made a quick and wondered stop at the state liquor stores of New Hampshire, and finally arrived at the mecca - the factory. Of course we went on a tour. And paid our respects at the flavor graveyard. And each had an ice cream cone. I think this may have taken place in the midst of final exams.

But a fonder memory still would be of the LB, lined up on Meeting Street for Free Cone Day. With our boundless capacity for conversation and laughter, the lines didn't faze us. We stood patiently until it was our turn to pick our flavors. And then with our cones, we got back in line once more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

getting in line multiple times ... brings back fond memories of the B&J's in the garage in harvard square. yum!

i'm a big fan of the cinnamon oatmeal raisin!!

1:24 PM  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I almost forgot!

I'll be thinking of the LB when I get my free cone!

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home