Thursday, August 31, 2006

How to Deal

The Oakland Raiders used to have a slogan which I found hilarious in its badness, and yet I still remember it years later - Commitment to Excellence. Laughable since the team would start off the season in fine form and then fall apart about November. But I digress, though this is related to my post. Namely, that the Raiders inspired me to start my Commitment to Better Eating. And yes, "better" is code for "more healthy." Gone are the days of asking myself "Have I eaten something fried today? No - well then I should!" I hope to do better that my silver and black team, and as a first step have gone cold turkey on Tim Tams. I had my last Double Coat biscuit last week. You never think it's going to be the last one, but it was. My mum lovingly confiscated the rest of the pack under the auspices of "if I eat one a day, you won't." I sort of see her logic. So, the challenge now is to write about food sans my favorite food groups - ice cream and chocolate. But I already have non-extreme eating stories to share, so really, it's not a dilemma at all!

4 Comments:

Blogger RenĂ©e said...

My favorite football motto is from college: "You guys are champions - on, AND off, the field!" Ha, right. Is running around with your girlfriend's underwear on your head champion-worthy behavior? I think not.

Anyway, I digress. I too have vowed to eat better, starting today. We can support each other in our efforts to be healthy!

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a raiders fan, and not a chardonnay sipping 49ers fan. i would have never guessed it. i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on who really is the AFC West's best team.

I applaud your ambition, I'm just getting use to chocolate ice cream as my usual Saturday morning breakfast, so too much change may not be recommended for me, but I still applaud you if not me. however, you'll have to pause your efforts during slam-fest 2006 though.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Healthy eating... I boiled my frozen food aisle gyoza instead of frying it. Does that count?

Ugh. School doesn't even start on the 6th and already my food habits would make a grad student blush. Help me, ladies. Help me.

We're looking for cheap and easy here... and I would try to connect that to the underwear on the head comment, but it's just too easy...

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will eat at Sweet Tomato and dine on "healthy food." We'll just eat ourselves to an oblivion on said "healthy food." Good plan, I say.

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home