Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Wednesday Part II

Funny thing, how airlines choose what meals to give you when flying across the international dateline. We left Sydney about 11PM. Next thing I knew, they were serving lunch - and I call it lunch because the menu said it was so. I enjoyed the ice cream best, though the salad and braised beef weren't bad. There were a few years when I was really anti-airplane food, so I took to ordering the child's meal. I quite enjoyed my McDonald's Happy Meals, though it was a bit difficult explaining to the flight attendant who inevitably wondered why a twenty-something was ordering a child's plate.

In other news, I had an amusing little exchange with US Customs today. They put my bags through the x-ray machine.

Agent: "Ma'am, your bag appears to have a lot of the same item in it. Can you tell me what that might be?"
Me: "Oh, those would be Tim Tams."
Agent gives me a blank stare.
Me: "They're biscuits"
Agent gives me another blank stare.
Me: "Boxes of cookies."

Right, now that I'm back stateside I'd best start working on my English...


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BWAH!

You would get along well with my family, in fact, you do!

Welcome back to the states! I was worried for awhile there that you had moved down under.

9:47 PM  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

Yippie! It's been too long since I've been able to call you.

I ate the entire box of Tim Tams that you sent to me...in under a week. SO YUMMY!! Thank you! I forgot to tell you they'd arrived because I was too busy scarfing them down.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Erica!

Welcome back. Heath and I wanted to tell you -- we were so intrigued by your earlier posts about Tim Tams and Tim Tam slams that we had to try and find them and eat them ourselves. You'll be happy to know that when you run out of your many souvenir Tim Tams, you can still have more. Heath found out that they sell them at Cost Plus, though perplexingly, under the name of Arnotts. We had fun trying to drink through them, and although an "Arnotts slam" doesn't quite have the right ring to it, it is tasty.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee, a week? amatuer

I can't tell from the pictrure, are there any latte? We can buy regular, double, dark, and caramel at the australian store by the San Jose airport but they don't have the latte.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers to the Tim Tam love! My friends at home have all tried the slam! I, however, brought only one pack back with me here at school. I need some self control, alas. =)

5:43 PM  
Blogger erica said...

I confess that I've had not a single Tim Tam since I've been home. Then again, that would be three whole days.

Sadly, no Latte in the suitcase - I wrote a particularly scathing review of them. :(

Jem, you and I have a date at either Cost Plus or the SJ store that sells our favorite biscuit! Thanks for the tip, Heath and Alison!

Nicole & Renee - it's been too long since we ate together - let's work on that...

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home