Monday, August 07, 2006

Rule of Four (with a few tweaks here and there)

Kate D and Renee, this one's for you...

4 fantasy jobs I've had in my pretend life:

  1. Competitive Eater - sounds like fun in theory, though the reality grosses me out.
  2. Reading for Money - not sure how this would work - I'm only at the concept stage.
  3. Restaurant Critic - how cool would it be to dress up in funny costumes and have work pay you to dine out with friends every night?
  4. Buyer for Speciality Grocery - going to the Fancy Food Show every year and tasting everything in sight...oh wait, I already do that!

4 movies I could watch over and over:

  1. The Sound of Music - only if I can warble along!
  2. Pride and Prejudice (A&E version) - Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy - yay!
  3. anything James Bond - cheesy, but oh so good, especially the Sean Connery years.
  4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

4 places I've lived:

  1. California
  2. Rhode Island
  3. in a house
  4. in my head

4 TV shows I watch:

  1. Grey's Anatomy
  2. The OC - note: I'm horrified at how many people I've met on my travels this summer who when they hear I'm from California, ask me if I'm from the OC. To borrow from another TV show, "seriously?"
  3. Family Guy - I'm pretty sure I watched the entire first season in a weekend. Stewie and Brian are the greatest.
  4. Big Brother (Oz edition) - with great shame I admit to watching this nearly six nights a week this summer...

4 places I've vacationed:

  1. Denmark
  2. Fargo, ND
  3. New Zealand
  4. Planet Food, er, New York

4 websites I visit daily:

  1. e-mail
  2. nytimes.com
  3. cnn.com
  4. something with celebrity gossip

4 favorite foods: (with food there can be no favorites, so I'll go with basics I could eat every day...)

  1. strawberries - Since I missed peak strawberry season at home this summer, I planned ahead and ate strawberries with abandon as soon as they appeared at the markets in February.
  2. bread - specifically a crusty baguette with a side of cheese
  3. ice cream
  4. tomatoes - heirlooms, pears, cherry, sliced with salt and pepper.

If we expand the Rule of Four to the Rule of Anything Divisible by Four then #5-16 would be: chocolate, rainbow beets, soup of all kinds, opera cake, persimmons, butternut squash, chocolate chip cookies, salad with pears, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette, lamb chops, chocolate croissants, cream scones with currants, peaches

4 places I would rather be come September:

  1. on vacation
  2. at one of Melbourne's many cafes I neglected
  3. at the beach
  4. eating new things in a new place

4 Comments:

Blogger RenĂ©e said...

What's an opera cake?

I think you should be a food writer, that's what you should be! And not in your pretend life!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Kate Diamond said...

I think so, too. Have you read "Cooking for Mr. Latte?" It's a fabulous food memoir. I think you could write a memoir about this summer. "Tazmanian Devil Dining," or something to that effect.

Seriously. I read your blog and it's like "Home Cooking," but with even more tantalizing food... you could be a combo of Laurie Colwin and Bill Bryson!

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no shame in Oz Big Brother.

7:13 AM  
Blogger erica said...

Opera Cake - usually multiple layers of genoise, chocolate ganache, almonds, buttercream, sometimes with gold leaf, always decorated with musical notes. It's heavenly.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home