Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pad Thai of My Dreams


Sawadee is where I had my very first taste of pad thai, and I'm disappointed to say that I've spent years searching for a west coast equivalent with no success. I usually find something lacking in my pad thai tastings, namely, that it's not like the pad thai of my dreams (PTOMD). Over the years, my taste memory has receded to the point that I'd be able to identify the PTOMD, but I couldn't really say what distinguishes it from other more recent tastes. And that's unfair. So it was was with a bit of anxiety and curiosity that I returned to Sawadee for dinner where my lovely companions and I ordered pad thai among the other savories. The PTOMD was a dream no more. Reality was even better. A hot dish arrived at our table, and Nicole did the mixing honors while Renee humored me and my photography. Although I have absolutely no idea if theirs is an authentic dish, I adore the PTOMD because the noodles are not gluey and the seasoning borders on tart. There's not a hint of tomato base nor is the dish cloyingly sweet. Rough chopped peanuts keep company with freshly fried tofu. Just thinking about it makes me hungry now. PTOMD, we'll meet again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we SHALL meet again. Soon I hope. Remember to try the pad thai at Thai Basil. Different animal entirely, but also highly enjoyable.

Getting hungry...

5:33 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

The PTOMD is waiting for you in lovely Thailand, it's amazing how good the food is on the streets here, and well the cleanliness could be, well let's just focus on the food. Fresh ingredients do make a difference...

12:23 PM  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

Erica, I believe you mean, Pad Thai of My DreamZ.

I am having the strongest urge for PDOMD right now. Mmmmm-mmmm.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

Hurray for Pad Thai! Thai food is the best. You may have to introduce me to your new find when I get back to the states!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home