Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Eating out of the Box

I've long harbored an irrational dislike of boxed sandwiches, probably because I never really gave them a chance. This week I've had no less than four of these fine meals in a box and they were not only nice, but really very good. My favorite thus far I picked up during our morning stop by Lake Matheson today. A very thick slice of white bread topped with salad (mixed greens), cucumber slices, tomato, roast chicken and brie. Something about the extra thick bread balanced out the cheese and reminded me of sitting around at a picnic.

Why I suddenly love these sandwiches? Their simplicity. My standard at home sandwich would be turkey, lettuce and tomato - skinny, not overwhelming, and definitely not fussy. Short of an errant tomato to up the sogginess factor, the box makes a good stand-in for homemade.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Yay for eating! I thought of you today as I read your postcard (thanks!) and breakfasted (is that a verb?) on Marscarpone Risotto with Peaches. Perfect fuel for a day of good deeds... donated blood, ordered a custom-designed baby bag for my sister-in-law, and then FINISHED MY NOVEL MANUSCRIPT.

Wee! It's only a first draft, but it's done. And before I start revising, I must celebrate with food and beverage.

Suggestions?

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate D, because you're my new McHero, I would suggest McDonald's, but your accomplishment merits something far more extravagant.

a. crumpets with jam and clotted cream
b. an ice cream sundae with all the fixings
c. a delicious home cooked meal (including home baked bread)

Okay, so they're not exactly extravagant, but I think the whole indulgence thing is a must. Congrats!

7:42 PM  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

Oooo...Marscarpone Risoto with Peaches? I want the recipe!

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home