Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In a Rut (A Good One!)

Queenstown is the Aspen of New Zealand. It's a resort town, meaning food tends towards the overpriced and mediocre in quality. Then there's Fergburger. Backpackers and snazzy people typically convene at this gourmet burger joint after a day of adrenaline-fueled sport. Bungee jumping started here, so there were a few of those, in addition to skydivers, hang gliders, and on the tamer side, skiers and snowboarders. Though it's impossible to get a seat indoors, there was no shortage of people willing to dine al fresco, in the 35 degree night air. There are no heat lamps.

On my first visit I had The Fergburger - prime NZ beef, lettuce, tomato, red onion and aioli. This I devoured with relish (of the tomato and happiness variety). The bread was good. The meat was tasty, and grilled to a lovely medium without instruction. The bread had a wonderful crusty top.

I branched out to the Little Lamby on my second visit - NZ lamb, mint jelly, lettuce, tomato, onion and aioli. The lamb was lovely. I intend to eat lots more lamb while in NZ.

Visit number three, which I intend to make soon enough, I've already decided will be about the Little Bambi - NZ cervena (farmed venison) with a thai plum chutney, lettuce, tomato, red onion and aioli. If you can't already tell, I snagged a menu on my way out the door today. No longer will I need to squint at the menu with indecision. The only downside to Fergburger is the wait. Though it's not a sit-down place, it takes 20 minutes to get your order. That's a lot of hungry people.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh... lamb burgers! I have to visit NZ. Did the mint jelly and aoili work well together? It sounds delicious...

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lamburger was delicious and all the condiments blended well, including the jelly/aoili combo. I have to admit, the peppery Little Bambi tonight may well be my favorite...

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Wow. You make me want to go on an eating tour down under.

I recently discovered the joys of lamb. I can only imagine what it tastes like in NZ. Mmm...

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home